*Again, not an exhaustive list. This is what our members came up with. If you know of more, please email us and we will add them. Thanks!!
1a. Commercial airlines that offer free or reduced flights that we know about:
Medical Transportation Charities That SW donates tickets to:
Angel Flight Central, Inc.http://www.angelflightcentral.org
Mercy Medical Airlifthttp://www.mercymedical.org
Miracle Flights for Kids (they do adults too)http://www.miracleflights.org
Patient Airlift Services (PALS)http://www.palservices.org
1b. Private Airlines that offer free or reduces flights:
(Do you know of any?? Help us out!)
2. Hotels/Motels that offer medical rates-specifically those for GBM patients,
- Near Duke University:
- Near MD Anderson: (Do you know of any?? Help us out!)
- Near Mayo Clinic: (Do you know of any?? Help us out!)
We are looking for others near other major GBM treatment centers.
3. Local transportation groups to and from treatments (Please email us ones in your area, with city, state listed. If you see one listed in your area already, please add your city too, or make a notation that it is a nationwide service.)
- OATS van (in Springfield, MO)
- Many local hotels near the major hospitals offer free shuttles to and from medical treatments.
4. Local transportation groups that offer rides to do normal things like shopping, church, etc.
How do you find these places? There are ones where I live that I never knew about. Ideas for where to call: Churches, your local social services, or the Y.
5. About Hope Lodge
From the Hope Lodge website:
"Facing cancer is hard. Having to travel out of town for treatment can make it even harder. Yet the American Cancer Society has a place where cancer patients and their caregivers can find help and hope when home is far away - an American Cancer Society Hope Lodge.
Each Hope Lodge offers cancer patients and their caregivers a free, temporary place to stay when their best hope for effective treatment may be in another city. Not having to worry about where to stay or how to pay for lodging allows guests to focus on getting well. Hope Lodge provides a nurturing, home-like environment where guests can retreat to private rooms or connect with others. Every Hope Lodge also offers a variety of resources and information about cancer and how best to fight the disease.
Currently, there are 31 Hope Lodge locations throughout the United States. Accommodations and eligibility requirements may vary by location. To find out more about a Hope Lodge, please select a location below. If there is not a Hope Lodge in your area, please call the American Cancer Society at 1-800-227-2345 for more information. Also you can visit Joe's House for additional lodging resources or enter your zip code on cancer.org's Find Local Resources page and select the category Housing."
Travel-related links are at the top, but keep scrolling down the page for LOTS of helpful information.